Swing bed patients temporarily use a hospital room for nursing home care until they are ready for discharge to home or can be transferred to an available nursing home or assisted living facility. Swing beds provide 24 hour medical and nursing services for the patient who no longer requires hospital specialized acute care, but still requires “skilled care” as given in a skilled nursing home.
Discharge planning will be provided to assist you in preparing for your transition from the skilled nursing facility to home.
- Bring in 3 days change of clothing, properly labeled.
- Notify pastor of admission, if desired.
- Bring in personal care items (toothpaste, Kleenex, razor, radio, books, magazines, crafts, etc.) Label all items.
- Encourage family and friends to visit, call or write.
- 1-3 days prior to discharge, call and arrange to meet with the Discharge Planner at (320) 564-6237, to discuss community resources available to meet potential needs following discharge.
Referrals can be arranged for the following support services:
- Dinner at your door
- Home Health Care
- Respite Care, Assisted Living, or Nursing Home Care
- Social Services
- Financial Management
- Mainstreet Messenger
You are eligible for Medicare benefits under the Swing Bed Program if:
- You are a Medicare recipient with skilled nursing facility benefits.
- You have had a qualifying 3 day hospital stay.
- You have a daily skilled need that can only be met by a registered nurse or therapist.
- Your physician certifies a need for continued skilled care.